The castle Naudersberg was first documented as the seat of the Lord of Nauders in 1239. Since about 1300 it was the seat of a princely court and extended into a castle. During the wars in Engadin Duke Sigismund and Emperor Maximilian extended the castle by outworks, round towers and battlements.
The fortress Nauders was built from 1834 – 1840 along the pass over the Reschen near the medieval niklas wall. It is a Das Sperrfort Nauders wurde 1834 bis 1840 an der Passtraße über den Reschen nahe der mittelalterlichen Niklasmauer erbaut. It is a powerful, five-story ashlar building with loopholes and was built as a roadblock to protect the Inn Valley from possible invasion troops from Lombardy or the Engadin.
The fortress Nauders marks the beginning of the road into history! The old road drops steeply and reaches the Inn river at Finstermünz, where there’s a little chapel, the old tollhouse and the “Sigismundseck” which was built by Duke Sigismund. In the middle of the Inn there is the old wooden bridge with the tower.
Historic border fortifications
Along the Reschen boarder an extensive line of defense with bunkers, command posts, tank traps, barracks and supply routes was created to prevent an invasion of Hitler’s Germany in the years 1936-1942. The work continued secretly even after Italy officially joined the alliance.